Split hair ends is one of those frustrating problems that occurred to almost any one at one point of time. Split ends literally mean that your hair is split in half at the end. I used to have it and I remember that I was able to pool both ends and literally split hair in half. Gross, I know lol.
We use a lot of different products on our hair for variety of reasons: shampoos, conditioners, hair sprays, mousses, gels, fixators and so on and so forth.
On top of that we burn our hair with curling iron and flat iron, we use hot air to dry and style our hair and so on.
So, we give our hair a really hard time a lot.
In addition, air and environmental pollution, heat and humidity, sun rays and freezing temperatures also have a damaging impact on our already suffocated locks.
It is not a surprise that at one point our hair gives up and starts looking dull, dry, damaged and frizzy and eventually could split in half.
What causes split ends?
- Dyeing your hair frequently;
- Overuse of all hair products – most hair products contain alcohol, which is very drying and harmful to your hair;
- Constant use of heated devices: curling iron, wand, flat iron etc. ;
- Prolonged exposure to UV rays. We all know that sun is very harmful to our skin and same goes for our hair;
- Dry scalp skin (could be caused by care products or it could be a skin condition);
- Mechanical impact of low-quality hair combs, hairpins, hair jewelry and other accessories. They all cause hair discomfort. They also pull your hair causing it to break and thin.
- Environmental pollutants: wind, dust, cold, heat, humidity and such;
- Lack of essential vitamins and minerals – your hair require in particular vitamin B complex, vitamins A, C, E and D. Minerals such as zinc, calcium and magnesium also contribute to hair, skin and nails health;
- Unhealthy life choices and bad nutrition. Alcohol is a very strong diuretic which means it makes your body dehydrated. Dehydration means dry hair and skin (and other organs).
- If split ends is a new problem for your hair, I strongly suggest to consult with the doctor and run full physical and lab testing to rule out health problems.
How to prevent split ends
Once you have hair split ends, it is not easy to fix them, but it is possible. We will discuss treatments of split ends later in this post.
It is much easier to prevent split ends from happening.
- You hair is the most vulnerable when wet. Please, DO NOT vigorously rub your hair dry with the towel when drying it. Instead, gently squeeze water out of your hair with the towel.
- Try as much as you can minimize the use of chemicals in your hair. Look for alcohol free products.
- Switch your metal or plastic brush to a wooden comb (or other natural materials comb).
- Cover your hair with appropriate head wear during cold winter and hot summer.
- Make sure you are eating nutritious diet balanced with vitamins and minerals. Take supplements if needed.
- Try not to use hair dryer as often and let your hair to dry naturally. If you absolutely have to use hair dryer, do not crank it up to the highest setting – using milder temperature will be safer on your hair.
- Wash hair with lukewarm water. Hot water will dry your hair and scalp skin.
- Regularly do hair masks to provide nourishment and restore moisture to your hair.
What to do if you already have split ends?
Unfortunately once you have split ends, you cannot repair them. Your best treatment is prevention. However, there are few things you can do to restore you hair shine and glow.
- Get a trim. I know that it sound so obvious, however, it could be hard to do that especially if you are trying to grow long hair.
- It is recommended to trim your hair once in every 2 months. This way you will be able to get rid of frizzy, dry, damaged, split ends and give your hair healthy and restored look.
- Regularly apply a hair mask to your hair. I know I mentioned it in prevention section; however, hair mask will help you to speed up bringing back your beautiful hair.
- Reassess your diet and consider taking some supplements. Vitamin B complex, Biotin, Fish oil is very important for skin, hair and nails health.
If you browsed my blog for a bit, then you notice that I usually make 2 posts with 2 different ways to solve a problem. In one post I give recommendations with store bought products for those people who prefer just to buy a product and not to worry about making it.
Another post is an alternative solution to a problem for those, who prefer natural, homemade products for variety of reasons.
You can always combine 2 way and alternate between store bought and homemade products. This is exactly what I do: I always look for improved products in store, but I make my own masks at home as well.
So in this post I will provide you with a list of products that have the highest ratings by consumers.
Shampoo for Split Ends
Aveda Damage Remedy Restructuring Shampoo – this shampoo gently cleanse your hair without harsh chemicals. It infuses your hair with moisture repairing dry, damaged and chemically-treated hair. It contains plant-based blend that leaves your hair smooth, silky and soft.
Dove Nourishing Oil Care Shampoo – this is affordable shampoo that you can find in your drug store. It has very good reviews by the consumers. This shampoo has non-greasy formula. It nourishes and moisturizes your hair. It also provides deep conditioning treatment leaving hair smooth and soft. This all makes this shampoo best shampoo for damaged hair and split ends at affordable price.
TRESEmme Split Remedy Collection – transform dry, brittle hair. It binds spit ends, moisturizes and nourishes your hair.
Eva NYC Clean It Up Shampoo – infused with argan oil which repair and strengthens your hair. It also contains Keravis which will protect your hair from further breakage and drying.
Virtue Smooth Shampoo – this shampoo contains Alpha Keratin 60ku which restores keratin in your hair and may bind split ends together.
Philip Kinglsey Re-Moisturizing Hydrating Shampoo – repairs damaged, brittle and weak hair; reduce frizz and breakage. It contains hydrolyzed elastin which restores hair elasticity, making them more manageable and soft.
Conditioner for Split Ends
Aveda Damage Remedy Restructuring Conditioner – for chemically-treated dry hair. This restructuring conditioner will repair, straighten damaged hair leaving it soft and healthy.
TRESEmme Split Ends Conditioner – contains niacinimide, biotin and hydrolyzed keratin that repair, moisturize and treat dry, damaged, frizzy hair.
Dove Hair Therapy Split End Rescue Conditioner – This conditioner will enhance the effect from the shampoo, further infusing hair with moisture and nourishment.
Living Proof No Frizz Conditioner – contains patented healthy hair molecule OFPMA which block humidity, protects hair from dirt and oil. This conditioner helps to detangle your hair and fight off frizz.
Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Conditioner – an amazing moisturizing conditioner that transforms dry, coarse or brittle hair. It has a blend of 6 oils which help hydrate, soften, de-frizz, detangle your hair as well as protect it from breakage and further damage.
Hair Masks for Split Ends
Living Proof Restore Mask Treatment – made for dry or damaged hair. This mask moisturizes hair and increases its strength, which makes it excellent split end treatment. It will reduce existing damage and prevent from hair from drying and breaking. Use this mask twice a week for better results.
ArtNaturals’ Argan Oil Hair Mask – people who prefer green option will appreciate this mask. This mask contains argan oil, green tea, jojoba oil, aloe vera, keratin and amino acids. This mask will eliminate existing damage and dry hair, reduce frizz and restore hair shine and softness.
Jill Stewart Hair Mask – amazing mask that I personally have and love. This mask is from Japan. It contains argan oil, apricot oil, pearl extract, rose honey, orange honey and lavender honey. This mask moisturizes hair, removes frizz and restores dry, damaged, unhealthy looking hair. Please, read, the full review HERE
Carol’s Daughter Sacred Tiare Restoring Hair Mask – this mask works the best on thick, coarse and curly hair. It contains coconut oil, shea butter and tiare https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardenia_taitensis (a flower), which repair breakage, reduce frizz, moisturize and restore your hair. There are no parabens, mineral oils or petroleum, which is a huge bonus when you are trying to reduce an amount of harmful chemicals for your hair.
Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair – deep conditioning hair mask. This mask is suitable for any hair type, it will restore hydration of your hair while repairing.
Kerastase K Resistance – this mask from Paris contains pro-keratin which assists in rebuilding your hair. It also has ceramides which provide hydration. Another amazing ingredient is resurrection sap which restores hair fiber strengthening your hair and protecting it from further damage.
Maroccanoil Restorative Hair Mask – a mask that you can purchase in any local drug store. It provides hydration and
nourishment treatment deep into the hair to help repair and restore elasticity and strength
As you can see, our hair needs our love and attention. Having beautiful long locks is a dream of every girl. Although, you cannot control genetic part of it, it is still in your control to have silky, smooth and healthy hair. There are many components to it from healthy life choices, to the right care products to vitamins and supplements.
You can also make some homemade hair products to nourish and pamper your hair.
Please, let us a comment and let us know what your favorite product that helps to keep your hair strong and healthy.