Dark circles under the eyes could be very frustrating for many people, especially when those circles are accompanied by puffy bags. Dark circles and puffy under eye bags could make you look older and generally unhealthy. No wonder, that most people are not pleased with that and try to get rid of dark circles and puffiness.
Both men and women have the same issue.
Why do people have dark circles under eyes?
There are lots of causes why people can develop dark circles.
· Genes/heredity. Some people are just born this way. Sometimes people under eye dark circles even when they are children. Some people outgrow this issue, some don’t and continue having dark under eye circles through the whole life span.
· Allergies. People with allergies tend to have stuffy nose known as nasal congestion. Nasal congestion can cause blood vessels that drain from the area around eyes to dilate and darken.
· Chronic sinus infections and/or congestions. Same as for allergies.
· Sleep deprivation or oversleeping.
· Skin pigmentation abnormalities – skin around eyes is much thinner than all around your face and is more prone to discolouration.
· Lifestyle choices like smoking or drinking alcohol excessively could contribute to dark circles formation.
· Eye strain – in today’s world we spend majority of the day staring at the screen (computer, TV, tablets, phones etc). This can cause significant eye strain. When people stare at the screen, they do not blink as often as it is needed by eyes to maintain adequate hydration. This also adds to eye strain. This strain causes blood vessels around eyes to enlarge and that results in dark circles appearance.
· Sun exposure – UV lights could damage delicate skin around eyes and cause dark pigmentation
· Age – as we age, skin around eyes loses fat and collagen making skin very thin and prone t pigmentation abnormalities.
· Although very rare, but dark circles could signal about medical problems like thyroid issues. It is always advisable to have regular medical checkups with your doctor.
Why do people have eye bags (puffy eyes)?
· Allergies – can cause fluid overload and fluid retention in the area around eyes.
· Genes/Heredity – some people are simply prone to eye bags due to their genetics.
· Age – as we get older it is harder for blood vessels to maintain fluid balance. Also skin becomes more saggy making bags more noticeable.
· Excess salt in the diet – can cause fluid retention and collection in periorbital (around eyes) area
· Puffiness around eyes could also signal about some medical/physical problems like kidneys malfunction, hormones imbalance, cardiac and circulatory problems. It is advisable to see a doctor and have a full physical check up to exclude any underlying medical issu
How can I remove dark circles and eye bags fast?
In this post we are discussing non-invasive and natural ways to eliminate dark circles and puffiness.
1. Use products that contain the following ingredients:
Retinol – in addition to its anti-aging properties, retinol lightens dark circles. Avoid using retinol right before bed time – this will cause increased puffiness. Please, read more about retinol and its uses in my post.
Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) – lightens dark circles.
Kojic Acid – can lighten dark circles. Kojic acid inhibits production of melanin – the pigment that is responsible for skin, hair and eye colour – thus, able to lighten problematic darker skin areas. (www.healthline.com/health/kohic-acid)
Caffeine – can reduce eye bags. It tightens blood vessels and minimizes fluid pulling under the eyes.
Vitamin C (Sodium ascorbate) – can thicken the skin around eyes and help conceal dark circles. It might take up to 6 months to achieve the results, so be patient.
2. Use under eye patches – these are small masks specifically designed to be applied to the delicate area under the eyes. Eye patches are soaked in serum or essence and are designed to fight wrinkles, puffiness, dark circles and provide hydration.
3. Use jade eye roller – this device is becoming more and more popular. Roll from inner eye towards outer eye and then all the way to your hair line one way only, do not do “back and forth” strokes. By doing this you promote fluid removal to lymphatic system and constrict enlarge blood vessels.
4. Conceal them – sounds obvious, but it is possible to camouflage dark circles with makeup. Make sure you match your skin tone and the product is right for your skin texture.
5. Avoid taking vitamin A and E before bed time – it will cause increased puffiness in the morning.
6. Check on Allergies – If you do have allergies, you might take anti-histamines by mouth or have a doctor to prescribe you eye drops to reduce allergic reaction.
7. Tea bags – caffeinated tea, naturally, contains caffeine which tightens blood vessels and reduces puffiness.
8. As mentioned earlier, have a physical check up to rule out any medical problems as puffiness around eyes could be an indication of poor kidney, hormonal or circulatory functions.
9. Do not drink fluids 2 hours before going to sleep – this might also contribute to increased puffiness around eyes.
10. Have a good night sleep – you will notice your dark circles and puffiness disappear when you start getting enough sleep.
11. Apply cold compresses – cold compress could help to reduce swelling and shrink dilated blood vessels thus reducing appearance of dark circles and puffiness.
Products that reduce dark circles and eye bags:
The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG – caffeine is an antioxidant that firms, tightens, and brightens the under-eye area Epigallocatechin Gallatyl Glucoside (EGCG): a compound found in green tea leaves that provides antioxidant support This treatment visibly reduces the appearance of dark circles, under-eye bags, and puffiness in the eye contour area
The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA – Alpha Arbutin reduces the looks of spots and hyper-pigmentation. It’s used at a high 2% concentration versus a standard concentration of 1% and supported with a next-generation form of Hyaluronic Acid for enhanced delivery. Alpha Arbutin is much stronger in effect than Arbutin or Beta Arbutin.
Mac Cosmetics Fast Response Eye Cream – caffeinated cream with instant effects. De-puffs, erases the look of dark circles, firms, soothes and softens skin around the eye.
Nature Republic California Aloe Vera 74 Eye Cooling System – contains aloe vera leaf juice from California. Moisturizes skin around the eyes. The ingredient of adenosine reduces fine wrinkles around the eyes. The 3 kinds of refreshing cooling balls revitalize skin around the eyes by massaging tired eye area
Derma-nu Youth Activating Eye Wrinkle Cream – One of the most effective beauty treatments to combat the signs of aging. Known for reducing puffiness, dark circles, fine lines and wrinkles, the benefits should be noticeable after only a few weeks. Contains peptides and hyaluronic acid.
Majestic Pure Triple Action Eye Cream – formulated to diminish the appearance of dark under-eye circle, puffiness, fine lines, and wrinkles
Yeouth Retinol 2.5% Eye Cream with Caffeine – helps firm, hydrate, and target problem areas on the eye area like crow’s feet, discoloration, uneven skin tone, fine lines, puffiness. Anti-aging, antioxidant, moisturizing
Tatcha Luminous Deep Hydration Firming Eye Serum – helps improve the appearance of dry, fine lines and wrinkles in the delicate eye area. It’s formulated with caffeine from green tea, honeysuckle root extracts, hyaluronic acid, and HADASEI-3. This skincare essential will benefit all skin types. This serum is based on a ritual beloved by geishas to reveal the skin’s inherent beauty. HADASEI-3 is a complex of green tea and extracts of Japanese rice bran and red algae.
Home Remedies to Remove Dark Circles and Puffiness
Pineapple juice and turmeric mask
Pineapple is a very good source of Vitamin C which has known properties to lighten dark spots. Turmeric is a very good anti-inflammatory agent.
1-2 tea spoons of natural organic pineapple juice
Pinch of turmeric powder
Mix both ingredients together and apply the past to under eye area for 5-10 minutes and wash off with warm water. Be careful not to get the past in the eyes, it will sting! Apply daily, results are usually shown in few weeks.
Almond oil and Lemon juice homemade mask
Both Almond Oil and Lemon juice are loaded with Vitamin C.
1 table spoon of almond oil
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Mix both together, soak a cotton pad with the mask and apply to the area under eyes for 10 minutes. Wash after with warm water.
Egg white mask
It is a very easy mask that consists of one ingredient: egg white. Egg is able to target puffiness, wrinkles, discoloration and also has lifting and firming properties.
Just scoop the leftover raw egg white from an egg shell with your finger and apply to the area around eyes. Keep on for 15-20 minutes and wash off with cool water.
Caffeine in the tea leaves reduces puffiness and dark circles.
Boil water and dip 2 black or green tea bags. Let is brew for 3-5 minutes. Remove from hot water and let them cool (you could put them in the freezer for 15 minutes to speed up the process). Place cold tea bags over your closed eyes and leave for 15 minutes.
Cucumber and lemon tonic
Antioxidants and silica in cucumber reduces dark circles.
1 small cucumber
1 tea spoon of lemon juice
Grate cucumber and squeeze to take the juice out. Add lemon juice and mix together. Apply tonic with cotton pad to the area around eyes before bed time and leave overnight (you could follow this tonic with your usual eye cream).
There are also cosmetic procedures that can be done to remove dark circles and puffy eyes. They are usually invasive, costly and must be performed by professionals, but usually such procedures provide instant results and could be performed once in every few months (depending on the procedure). Refer to the following web site for some information (please, note, this is for your information only, I do not recommend the company nor its services as I do not have any personal experiences with either. I just find that information on their website is professional and useful.