People has known the amazing useful properties of honey since ancient times. The first record of beekeeping and possible use of honey dates back to 2,400 B.C. Different cultures around the globe enjoyed honey for its medicinal and culinary properties.
Manuka honey is the most common honey used in cosmetics for a variety of reasons. It is considered to be a super-honey for its strong anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidants effects.
Manuka honey comes from New Zealand when bees pollinate Leptospermum scoparium (Manuka) flowers.
Composition of Manuka honey
This type of honey is quite unique and includes almost all trace elements, enzymes and biologically active substances important for our health and appearance.
So, Manuka honey is made of:
· Vitamins and minerals
· Amino acids
· Sugars (glucose and fructose)
· Hydrogen peroxide and methylglyoxal
Health benefits of Manuka honey
· This type of honey promotes fast wound healing
· Heals burns
· Boosts immune system
· Soothes and treats sore throat
· Promotes oral health
· Promotes health of digestive system and treats gastric ulcers
· Clears respiratory infections
· Honey is considered to be a healthy choice in place of sugar; people with diabetes could look into honey as a sugar substitute
· Honey has extensive benefits for cardiac health: it can lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels and lower triglycerides.
As you can see, there are many amazing benefits of honey for our health. However, let’s concentrate on the uses and benefits of Manuka honey for skin.
Manuka Honey Benefits for Skin
1. Honey’s anti-inflammatory properties can reduce redness, swelling and irritation of the skin.
2. Use honey for acne – acne could be a reaction to many factors such as stress, poor diet, hormone change, pollution and bacteria growth. Honey’s anti-bacterial effects significantly reduce amount of acne-causing bacteria and reduce acne. Also, as I mentioned above, honey contains hydrogen peroxide which is a strong astringent and helps with acne.
3. Applying Manuka honey on face will gently exfoliate your skin removing dead cell layers and improving skin tone and appearance.
4. Honey is excellent for improving hydration and moisture of your skin.
5. Manuka honey is a very strong anti-oxidant meaning that it can remove free radicals. As a result it can treat sun and age spots, lighten hyperpigmentation and signs of environmental damage.
6. Manuka honey will clear pores and visible reduce their size.
7. It is a strong anti-aging ingredient because of its anti-oxidant and moisturizing effect: it will remove dull tone, age spots and will plump skin with moisture minimizing fine lines and wrinkles.
8. Manuka honey is famous for its healing properties: it will heal and fade acne scars and minor wounds cause by irritation and inflammation.
Using honey for pimples and acne
You can easily make a homemade acne treatment that will dry and heal acne and pimples. You will need tea tree oil to enhance anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory effects of honey. Please, read about benefits of tea tree oil by following links HERE and HERE.
Side effects of using honey
Many people can have an allergic reaction to products containing honey; honey is a known allergen. If you have allergy to bees and/or pollen, be very cautious when using honey containing products.
Some people also have individual intolerance to honey as with any other ingredient.
Always perform a skin patch test (apply a product to a small area, wait for 12-24 hours and continue using if no reaction occurs).
Do not use honey to heal large and deep wounds and cuts, contact your doctor first.
Honey is not safe for babies under 12 months due to increased danger of botulism. Never give raw honey or honey drinks to your baby.
Honey Skin Cream (Manuka honey cream)
Piping Rock Manuka Honey Cream with Royal Jelly – enjoy all the benefits of Manuka honey with anti-aging benefits of royal jelly. Reduce wrinkles and fine lines. This cream will leave your skin moisturized, nourished and glowing. (company web site)
Farmacy Honey Savior All-in-one Skin Repair Salve – apply this salve anywhere on your body where your skin feels dry, cracked and irritated such as elbows, face, lips, cheeks, heels and so on. This salve will quickly heal damaged area and will make your skin smooth and soft again.
Eczema Honey Original Skin Soothing Cream – this amazing cream will heal both adults and children. It offers a blend of high quality ingredients to support people living with eczema with a cooling, soothing cream. It has amazing reviews by people who used it.
Honeyskin Face and Body moisturizer – this moisturizer has great reviews by the consumers. These non-allergic organic cream will sooth your skin while nourishing it with superfoods. It has tightening, firming and wrinkle reducing effects for face and body.
Farmacy Honey Drop Lightweight Moisturizer – hydrating gel-cream moisturizer that contains honey, hyaluronic acid and golden cupuacu butter beads. If you have dry, dull and uneven skin with lost firmness and elasticity – this moisturizer is just for you.
Mario Badescu Honey Moisturizer – delivers honey infused hydration. Softens, smooths and nourishes your skin. Leaves skin looking supple and dewy. This moisturizer is suitable for combination, dry and sensitive skin type.
Manuka honey face mask
Antipodes Aura Manuka Honey Mask – this mask contains Manuka honey, Pohutukawa (conditioning, deeply moisturizing and antiseptic) and Vanilla pod (slows down signs of aging).
Farmacy Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask – an intensively hydrating, warming honey face mask that will give your skin glowing complexion and hydration.
Wild Ferns Manuka Honey Conditioning Face Mask – gently exfoliate your skin removing dead cells. This mask will clear pores, remove excess oil deposits and will leave skin rejuvenated and smooth.
Jayjun Honey Dew Red Mask with Manuka Honey – this sheet mask is so rich in anti-oxidants, vitamins and nutrients. On top of its main ingredient – Manuka honey, it contains extracts from tomato, apple, strawberry, cherry and grapefruit. This mask will nourish, hydrate and pamper your skin as if you just had a spa visit.
I’m from Honey mask – this Korean brand is very famous for its innovative use of natural materials. This natural wash-off mask contains 39.7% natural Jirisan honey. This mask will deliver nutrients, vitamins to your skin making it brighter and healthier.
Honey and Berry Sleeping Mask (sleeping pack) – this honey face pack contains acacia honey that creates barrier to protect skin from environmental pollution and dryness. It contains vitamin C which will brighten your skin and help to reverse signs of aging. Ebay
Lanocreme Manuka Honey Face Mask – this mask contains Manuka honey that will fight acne and pimples, gently exfoliate your skin providing you with glowing and bright complexion.
Honey has many benefits for our skin. It gently exfoliates it, removing dead cells layer and bringing glowing appearance. You can use honey for pimples and acne – anti-bacterial characteristics of raw honey are very famous and help fight acne causing bacteria. Honey will reverse signs of aging, sun and age spots, will remove effects of environmental pollution and other skin impurities. It also has healing properties helping your to minimize appearance of acne scars and minor wounds (for example, from pimples) on your skin.
You can purchase honey containing products for many retailers or you can prepare your own beauty products at home.