If you are looking for a natural face wash that will cleanse your face, fight acne and leave your skin soft and smooth – you found the perfect recipe.
We already learned about amazing benefits of chamomile for our health and skin. I invite you to read the dedicated post about it HERE.
Chamomile is a go to plant when you need to sooth and calm rough, irritated skin.
You can find chamomile in many products for babies and that is because how sensitive and healing this herb is even to the most delicate skin.
Lavender also helps to smooth and calm skin.
Today we are going to prepare chamomile face wash which you can also use for your hands and body. This wash contains other very healthy ingredients: lavender, honey, sesame seed oil and tea tree essential oil
Let’s take a moment and quickly explore benefits of each ingredient. This way you can understand what exactly you are making and how it will affect your skin.
Benefits of chamomile for skin
- Chamomile heals wounds and scars very well, which makes it very beneficial for people with acne scars.
- Soothes irritated, red and inflamed skin
- Gentle on outer protective skin layer
- Controls skin oil production
- Lightens up age and sun spots and improves skin tone
- Delivers vitamins and nutrients to the skin
- Smoothes wrinkles and fine lines
- Protects skin from harmful ultraviolet rays.
Benefits of Lavender For Skin
- Lavender has healing properties, making it so good for acne prone skin
- It has anti-bacterial properties, meaning it will help eliminate acne-causing bacteria
- Some researches show that lavender also assist in killing fungui
- It is very soothing and calming for our skin
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil For Skin
I have an extensive post where I explain all healing benefits of tea tree oil for our skin and hair. Please, read this article HERE.
- Promotes cells regeneration meaning that wounds, scratches and acne scars can heal faster
- This oil is a very strong disinfectant meaning it kills bacteria and other harmful organisms
- It also calms irritated and inflamed skin
- Tea tree oil is widely used in skin care to prevent dryness and fight acne
Benefits of Honey For Skin
Benefits of honey for our skin are endless. I use honey in every skin care product I make at home. I also have a very long post about benefits of honey, you can read it HERE. In this post I will just summarize the most outstanding points.
- Honey is very soothing and softening for the skin
- It is very moisturizing
- Honey is anti-bacterial meaning that it will help to fight acne
- It helps wounds, cuts and scrapes to heal faster
Castile Soap for Skin
Castile soap is all natural oil-based soap that does not contain toxins. However, some companies might sneak in some “bad” ingredients like like sulfates (SLS), triclosan and artificial fragrances or artificial colours. If you see “other” in the list of the ingredients on product’s label, then consider buying another brand.
In general, Castile soap is very safe to use on our skin. I suggest that you look for liquid soap that has pH balance of 5.5. This is an optimal pH for our skin, otherwise the product will be too harsh on our skin.
How to Make Chamomile Facial Cleanser
The recipe is very simple.
2 tablespoon of dry chamomile (or 3 tea bags)
2 tablespoon of dry lavender
1 tablespoon of raw honey
10 drops of tea tree oil
1 teaspoon of carrier oil (jojoba oil, sesame oil, grape seed oil or whatever oil you like)
1/4 cup of Castile soap
3/4 cup of boiled water
You will also need:
Foaming soap pump.
I was able to find a pump at the dollar store that fits standard mason jar. I prefer glass jars for homemade products. However, if plastic is all you have, then it is absolutely fine.
- Boil water in the kettle and pour over chamomile and lavender. Let cool completely.
- Add oil, honey and tea tree oil, whisk together gently.
- Add Castile soap and stir carefully so you do not froth soap too much.
- Pour mixture into your soap pump jar.
- You will need to gently shake your wash before using to recombine all ingredients.
- Use it whenever you would like to wash your hands and face.
What Is The Shelf Life Of DIY Face Wash?
This is a very serious question. I guess short shelf life is one of the major disadvantages of homemade products.
However, our face wash does not contain any preservatives and has only natural ingredients, so having a short shelf life does not sound like a huge disadvantage.
For this particular face wash I estimate shelf life to be up to 1 week.
This is how I estimate it: think of leaving a cup of tea on the counter. How long will it last before it goes spoiled? I think about 5, maybe 7 days.
Our wash contains many anti-bacterial ingredients, that is why I think it is safe to calculate that this product will last us a week.
Having said that, if your product smells funny, or does not look “right” to you, please, discard it even though you had it for less than 7 days.
When I make my products, I make very small amounts, just to last 5-7 days. This way I do not end up throwing my products away.
When I make this anti-bacterial wash, I usually cut all ingredients in half. So you decide the amount of wash your family needs and make enough to acomodate your family.