Rose water has a vast variety of medical and cosmetic benefits. It serves as an excellent addition to anyone’s skin care and hair care routine.
Healing properties of rose water have been known even to ancient people in Rome, Greece and Persia. One of the legends says that even Cleopatra used rose water in her care routine.
Rose water was an important trade object between China and Byzantium territories in the 8th and 9th centuries. Persia was the main manufacturer of rose water in those days.
Interesting fact: it takes 3,000 kg of rose petals to produce 1 kg of rose water. That is why real product used to be pricey. However, now days due to new and improved technologies, pure rose water became very affordable product. You could scroll to the end of the post to find links to 100% pure rose water products from different countries.
What is Rose Water?
Rose water is produced by distilling rose petals with steam. “Additionally, rose water is the hydrosol portion of the distillate of rose petals, a by-product of the production of rose oil for use in perfume…” (Wikipedia). Rose water is usually pink in color and has very pleasant fragrance to it. Good rose water does not contain any alcohol or artificial perfumes.
18 Benefits of rose water
Rose water has many benefits for our skin, hair and body in general.
Rose water for skin
· Promotes skin elasticity
· Cleans and tightens pores
· Regulates skin oil production which is very important for oily skin
· Moisturizes and nourishes the skin
· Rose water promotes lymphatic drainage, that is why people with under eye bags will benefit from creams and eye patches containing this ingredient
· It has anti-inflammatory properties making it a very crucial ingredient for people with sensitive skin and skin prone to redness
· Strengthens blood vessels
· Rose water helps fight acne causing bacteria
· Prevents sun burns
Rose water for hair
· Removes inflammation and reduces itchiness of scalp skin
· Promotes good hair growth by increasing blood circulation
· Soothes hair giving it silky and shiny feel and look
· Strengthens hair
· Fights dandruff
Rose water in medicine
· Promotes wound and sun burn healing
· Reduces stress (try taking a bath filled with rose petals or mixed with rose water, you will love it)
· It has anti-bacterial properties, so you could rinse your sore throat with rose water and you will feel pain relief.
· It can even relieve toothache: pour some water onto a cotton pad and apply it to a painful tooth; rose water will kill bacteria and will help you last till your dental appointment.
Making Rose Water At Home
You can buy rose water almost everywhere. However, it is easy to make your own rose water at home, if you prefer homemade products. DIY beauty products are natural and you know for sure, what is in the product. You can also customize it to suit your skin’s needs.
However, it is very important to use organic ingredients when making own beauty products.
As for rose water, I strongly suggest that you do not use commercially bought flowers, because you do not really know what kind of chemicals they were sprayed with. You can ask a friend or anyone you know to give you a rose flower from their garden. I am using flowers from my mom’s garden.
Rose Water DIY
1. 6-12 rose flowers. The more rose petals you have, the more concentrated your rose water will be. Peel off and discard outer layer of petals. Use petals in the middle of the flower for your water.
2. Rinse all petals and air dry (put them on a towel).
3. Place petals on the bottom of the pot, you can layer them on top of each other if needed.
4. Pour water over petals just to cover them.
5. Bring pot to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and simmer the mixture for about 45 min (petals will fade and water will become coloured).
6. Let mixture to cool off.
7. Remove all petals from the water squeezing all the juice out of them.
8. Pour your water into a glass container. Store in dark cool place.
That is it. As you can see it is quite simple.
Now that you have Rose Water you can prepare several natural beauty products like face toner, cream and shampoo.
Rose Water Shampoo for Oily to Normal Hair
This shampoo contains egg yolks which are a natural source of protein. Protein restores and strengthens your hair. Many people have a concern that egg yolk will make hair smell bad. It is not the case in this recipe: rum will neutralize the smell, you will not feel it.
Apple cider rinse will make your hair smooth and shiny.
50 ml of rose water
30 ml of rum
3 raw egg yolks
2 tablespoons for apple cider vinegar + 1 L of warm water (for after shampoo rinse).
1. Mix rose water, rum, egg yolks together.
2. Wash your hair with the mixture as if you are using regular shampoo
3. Rinse off with vinegar+water solution.
4. Use this shampoo twice a week.
Rose Water Toner
This toner will fight acne, clear your skin, reduce redness and inflammation. It is good for any skin type.
6 tablespoons of rose water
3 tablespoons of witch hazel
1. Mix all ingredients together and place in a glass container.
2. Use twice a day after cleansing your skin.
Rose Water Cream For Dry/Sensitive Skin
This cream contains aloe juice that will reduce inflammation and skin redness. Beeswax and cocoa butter will moisturize skin and restore hydration.
60 ml (2 oz) of rose water
50 ml (1.5 oz) aloe juice
10 g of beeswax
60 ml (2 oz) cocoa butter
3 drops of rose oil
3 drops of bee propolis
1. Mix aloe juice, wax and rose water
2. Prepare a water bath: take a larger pot and place a smaller pot inside. Fill up larger pot with water half way.
3. Melt rose water solution in a water bath
4. Add cocoa butter and let melt as well
5. Put mixture in a clean glass jar
6. Stir mixture well, add rose oil and propolis while keep stirring with wooden stick
7. Keep this cream in air tight container.
8. Shelf life is 7 days, but you can keep in a fridge for 1 month.
Where to Buy Rose Water?
As I mentioned above, you can purchase rose water if you want to save some time making it. The following products have good reviews over the internet.
Rose Water Facial Toner by Leven Rose – 100 % pure rose water. It is alcohol free and non oily, glycerin free, fragrance free (no perfume added), paraben free, and vegan friendly. This toner is suitable for any skin type including dry and sensitive ones. (Made in Morocco)
Sweet Essentials Organic Rose Water – another 100% product that does not contain any harmful additives and preservatives. (Made in Morocco)
Lema Natural Bulgarian Rose Water – 100 % rose water from Bulgaria.
R V Essential Pure Rose Water – another 100% rose water from India. No parabens or other additives in the product.
In conclusion, I would like to summarize the rose water is an amazing natural product that will be an excellent addition to your overall care. It works amazingly on your skin, hair and even has some health benefits. For example, it will help you with toothache or cracked feet. Add rose water to your favourite care products and enjoy all the benefits.